Aaugh! Worthless disk device screen is back!

Pete Travis me at petetravis.com
Wed Nov 9 01:01:50 UTC 2011

On Nov 8, 2011 5:44 PM, "Tom Horsley" <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 17:36:35 -0700
> Pete Travis wrote:
>
> > I use and appreciate this feature.  Its comforting to know that the
> > installer won't mess with disks I tell it not to, and some have mounting
> > requirements I don't want to address until after the install.
>
> I have disks I don't want the installer to mess with as well,
> but I just don't pick partitions on those disks and tell it
> to format them (on the screen I get to later).
>
> I can't imagine how the information available on that first
> screen allows anyone to select the disks they actually want.
> It seems to be a complete waste of time and addition of confusion
> for no benefit.
> --

If you wanted to be *absolutely sure* that anaconda didn't destroy or
overwrite the wrong partitions, you would want those partitions completely
excluded from the tool that modifies them.

If you wanted to be *absolutely sure* of what data is kept on a drive, you
would be keeping track of model and serial numbers.   You might be able to
recognize a Debian install based on the partitioning convention you used,
but this is not a failsafe or scalable method.

This screen is simply a feature you don't take advantage of.  I don't think
that's a problem.

The devil's advocate,
Pete