upgrade F12 with small raid1 boot partition

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Nov 14 20:44:17 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 09:49:21 -0800,
  Robert Arkiletian <robark at gmail.com> wrote:
> Going from F12 to F14
> 200MB /boot partition (software raid1)
> I know Preupgrade won't work as /boot is too small.
> Can I use an F14 netinstall cd with Anaconda to upgrade or does that
> also require a larger /boot partition?

You should be able to use yum to do the upgrade. You'll probably need to
handle a few quirks by hand. I have kitchen sync installs including some
stuff from rpmfusion and I usually need to handle a few packages blocking
upgrades of other packages. If you have a default install and are not
using third party repos or one off packages, the upgrade may just work.
There were a few release transitions that had special problems (e.g. there
was one where the rpm format changed), but f12-f14 was long enough ago,
that I don't remember if either of those was special. If so you may need
to go from f12 to f13 and then to f14.

As a side note, F14 is losing support in less than a month. It may make
more sense to backup /home and /etc and do a fresh install of f16, restore
/home and look to see if any of your change in /etc need to be ported.
Doing that would possibly be faster than a series of upgrades.