iptables systemd services fail

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 09:46:32 UTC 2011

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 19:52:00 -0700, TCH (T.C.) wrote:

> > # systemctl status iptables.service
> > #iptables.service - IPv4 firewall with iptables
> >          Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/iptables.service; enabled)
> >          Active: failed since Thu, 17 Nov 2011 18:19:23 +0100; 2min 31s ago
> >         Process: 1003 ExecStart=/usr/libexec/iptables.init start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
> >          CGroup: name=systemd:/system/iptables.service
> >
> > Once logged in, I can start it manually without problems. SELinux is not
> > the culprit. The services fail also when running permissive mode. It seems
> > as if it's another race between systemd services.
>
> What does syslog say around the time iptables.service is started on
> boot?  You should get some sort of error out of iptables.init.

None.  Else I wouldn't be asking. ;)

boot.log says "Started System Logging Service." only after the failed
iptables start.

Guess I'll need to compare carefully with another F16 installation
if I find the time. And perhaps turn off updates-testing on my main
desktop. Too many test updates again and not enough time to test
them painstakingly before they get pushed to stable.