rpmbuild provides seems broken

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Fri Nov 18 23:42:48 UTC 2011

On 11/18/2011 12:26 PM, Karl wrote:
> I have a small library RPM which built OK on Fedora 13 but is broken on Fedora
> 16.  Rpmbuild reports that the shared library in the package is required by
> the package itself.  There is no "Provides" line, and when I try to install
> the RPM it reports:
>
>      error: Failed dependencies:
>              libglv.so.0()(64bit) is needed by libglv0-0.3.1-1.x86_64
>
> If I run /usr/lib/rpm/find-provides manually on the libraries it reports the
> correct information:
>
>      libglv.so.0()(64bit)

I see the actual issue got already solved, but just FWIW:

/usr/lib/rpm/find-provides and -requires haven't been used by rpm in
ages, unless overridden by spec/configuration (and you do not want to do
that, those old scripts will miss all sorts of things)

These days the equivalent thing to find-provides/requires is running
/usr/lib/rpm/rpmdeps --provides|--requires, that'll give the same
results as you'd get while building, unless the spec contains tweaks to
the dependency generation (it can be filtered, various bits and pieces
overridden etc).

	- Panu -