Help keep logfile clean :-).

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 23:52:50 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 15:18:04 -0800
> Joe Zeff wrote:
>
>> You don't want to have a record of what failed?
>
> No, the only things that are ever reported as failing
> are things I've disabled anyway. Now if it could somehow
> manage to only report failures of things that aren't disabled,
> it might be useful information.
>
> Though upon further review, I have discovered that maybe
> what I want is "mask", not "disable". The "mask" command
> to systemctl seems to be as close as you can get to
> uninstalling something without actually doing the "yum erase".

I think you'll still get those annoying messages even if you mask the
services.  The only way to shut it up completely is to disable bus
activation for the service, which should only involve some rm'ing in
/etc/dbus-1/ but may actually require witchcraft and/or wizardry.

Incidentally, those messages actually originate from DBus, not
systemd.  systemd is correctly refusing to start the services you have
disabled but unfortunately that causes DBus to whine and blame systemd
for not doing what it tells it to do.  (It's blissfully unaware that
systemd is in fact, doing exactly what *you* told it to do.)

-T.C.