rc.sysinit mystery

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 16:22:50 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 8:46 AM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> In the last section of the F16 System Administrator's Guide it says that
> sysctl is run by executing the rc.sysinit script against the parameters
> in sysctl.conf.
>
> Now there is no /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit script in F16 so that leaves me
> with two questions:
> 1: Who should I send the suggestion to that the section should be
> changed?
> 2. I know I have seen it somewhere but what system program runs sysctl
> to set the kernel parameters?

systemd of course!

If you're just worried about setting them at boot, see "man sysctl.d".

If you want to know how this works in detail, see
/lib/systemd/system/systemd-sysctl.service and
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/tree/src/sysctl.c  You can also
see all the systemd units that make up the former rc.sysinit with the
following command:
systemctl show -p Wants sysinit.target

-T.C.