Adventures with Gnome 3.2 fallback

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Thu Nov 24 13:35:33 UTC 2011

On 11/23/2011 05:07 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> My luck was that Gnome3.2 could not fully work on my system so I was
> going to be put in fallback mode (I think that is what it is called) By
> the way can anyone point me to what lack of resources causes that to
> happen?

Check your /etc/default/grub file, and make sure that "nomodeset" is not
in it. I found this was in some of my /etc/default/grub files, because I
had selected a basic text upgrade mode when running anaconda. This made
the upgrades run faster, but it disabled the fancy graphics modes than
gnome-shell needs.

If it is there, try removing the "nomodeset" clause and regenerate your
grub files by running:

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

- Mike