Printer problem Samsung CLX-3170

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 20:52:40 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 7:24 PM, Jim <binarynut at comcast.net> wrote:

> This is weird Mike , if I open Firefox and type in 192.168.0.5, IP to
> printer it shows a Information page
> from there I can PRINT  out reports of the printer from that page.
> But I can't print out anything like a txt doc or Print Test Page.
> I strongly feel that this problem has to be with Fedora 16 and the
> initial clean install.
> When I finished install I had to do a  service cups start
> Because cups was not running .
> I guess I will have to do another clean install of Fedora 16.
> I will do that tomorrow , For now I have to go to my sisters house and
> help polish off the remaining Turkey from yesterdays dinner.

The old "service" command has largely been obsoleted by systemd - and
to check on the current status of cups you need:
systemctl status cups.service

You can start the service daemon with
systemctl start cups.service
or restart it with
systemctl restart cups.service
and you can ensure that it loads on boot with
systemctl enable cups.service

Check that the cups service under status is both "loaded" and "active" -

Good luck with further diagnosis after the turkey!
--
mike c