speed of yum

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Nov 28 05:00:12 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-11-27 at 21:54 -0500, Genes MailLists wrote:
> I happened upon pacman on Arch linux - and it appeared to be
> substantially faster than yum. Now this was casual "visual impact only"
> - no formal tests using similar packages and same computer etc - but it
> was very much noticeably faster.
>
>   Installs of even large packages seemed to fly compared to what I was
> used to from yum.
>
> Of course it could be difference in systems, or xz compression versus
> presto or who knows what else ... but it leads me to ask ...
>
>   Are there any good performance benchmarks comparing yum with pacman
> and apt etc?
----
apt seems faster than yum but it seems that it is colored by the fact
that a typical Fedora/RHEL/CentOS install will have a lot more packages
installed than Debian/Ubuntu and it's perceptual, not that I have ever
timed it. I do have a kitchen sink Ubuntu box at my work and it has a
boatload of packages installed and it did seem to take some time to
update.

Then again, I tend to not use GUI updates and prefer using a virtual
console where I can invoke the updates and switch to something else
rather than watch the water come to a boil.

Craig

believed to be clean.