Create an rsyncd.service fedora 16

David Highley dhighley at highley-recommended.com
Mon Nov 28 16:02:30 UTC 2011

"David Highley wrote:"

> "T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:"
> >
> > On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 8:35 PM, David Highley
> > <dhighley at highley-recommended.com> wrote:
> > > We are trying to create an rsyncd.service with fedora 16. We can get the
> > > process to start but it acts like it never opens the socket and exits a
> > > short time later. The two files we have are below.
> > >
> > > rsyncd.socket:
> > > [Unit]
> > > Description=rsyncd Service Sockets
> > >
> > > [Socket]
> > > ListenStream=873
> >
> > rsyncd needs "Accept=yes" here.  (It's the equivalent of "nowait" in inetd.)
> >
> > > [Install]
> > > WantedBy=sockets.target
> > >
> > > rsyncd.service:
> >
> > inetd-style services need an @ at the end of the service name, which
> > signifies that more than one copy of the service can be started.  So
> > this needs to be renamed to "rsyncd at .service".
> >
> > > [Unit]
> > > Description=rsyncd Rsync Daemon
> > > After=syslog.target network.target
> > > DefaultDependencies=no
> >
> > Why are you overriding default dependencies?  It shouldn't be
> > necessary for this.
>
> Just followed another script that looked close.
>

> > > [Service]
> > > EnvironmentFile=/etc/rsyncd/rsyncd.conf
> > > ExecStart=/usr/bin/rsync --config=/etc/rsyncd/rsyncd.conf --daemon
> >
> > inetd-style services like rsyncd expect the socket to be connected to
> > standard input and output.  To accomplish that with systemd, add
> > "StandardInput=socket" here.  (stdout is inherited from stdin
> > implicitly.)
> >
> > > [Install]
> > > Also=rsyncd.socket
> > > WantedBy=multi-user.target
>
> Did a disable on service. Made the changes. Reloaded systemd. Re-enabled
> service. Now when attempt to start:
> systemctl start rsyncd at .service
> Failed to issue method call: Unit name rsyncd at .service is not valid.
>

> > For more information on converting inetd services to systemd units, see:
> > http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/inetd.html

It appears that this example maybe out of date. Looks like the argument
StandardInput is no longer valid, according to:
http://0pointer.de/public/systemd-man/systemd.service.html

We also do not see where the "@" is being used in any of the scripts
for the names. The supplied sshd.service looks different and does not
have an accompanying sshd.socket file. So we really do not understand
how this works at this point.