Top posting in a meandeing thread was: Re: Fedora - time to blink

G.Wolfe Woodbury redwolfe at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 02:16:38 UTC 2011

On 11/28/2011 02:08 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 11/28/2011 10:58 AM, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
>> Well, I'm sure that some folks are of the opinion that the GNOME developers
>> attitudes and responses to user concerns are pretty fascist.
> Only those who use the term as a generic insult and haven't the
> slightest idea what it means.
In this case it's misused as a substitute for oligarchy.

The imposition of GNOME3 is being imposed from a small group of key folks
despite the vociferous complaints. The developers don't owe users
anything (except
the respect due to every person) but perhaps they just might want to
understand
that the features they have introduced may not survive the selection
process that
is called "user adoption".  The symbiotic relationship is being strained
and some of
the complaints are more than just whining about change.

Personally, I've adapted to GNOME3 about as much as I feel comfortable
in doing.
I'm studying other DEs and distros to see if they match my needs more
than the
current Fedora direction.  This is exactly what the evolution of
software systems
says is going to happen.  The question is will Fedora survive as
currently conceived?

As for the term "fascist" it was originally an attempt to
light-heartedly point to
Godwin's Law conjecture, but I may just let it stand given the public
and not-so-public
debate and resulting statements that have been made.

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury
redwolfe at gmail.com (Fedora proventester)