Fun and games with 3TB hard drives.

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Oct 1 23:55:06 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 19:32 -0400, David wrote:

> Fedora 'out of the box' works for me too. But then I don't use laptops
> and they seem to be a major source of problem(s).
----
laptops often have short run, proprietary hardware that if no one
provides ample feedback to developers, may very well have some
unintended features (nice way of saying bugs).
----
>  From what I read on
> various lists. And I avoid Dell like a contagious infection (ducks under
> desk) because I see many with problems.
----
I don't have a problem with Dell but everyone is free to choose to buy
whatever suits them. Dell & HP have been strong supporters of Dell and
for a few years, Dell's point man on Linux was a member of the Fedora
board.
----
> Those were the 'users' I was referring to above. Now when Linux will
> really, really do stuff, like Windows games for example, then we just
> might get the 'average person' to switch to Linux. Tux Racer is *not* a
> real game BTW.  :-)
----
I'm sort of out of touch on games myself but I think what you are
specifically referring to are the games which drive high end hardware
sales (overclock motherboards, high end video cards, etc.) and the open
source platform isn't especially well suited for that environment at
this point. I'm not sure that I would suggest that this type of user is
actually the 'average person' as you describe it but certainly a
significant percentage of the user base.

I think that if you really wanted to examine market segmentation in a
reasonably meaningful way, you would be looking at business use and not
just home use. You would consider that many large corporations do indeed
use Linux as it clearly drives down the CTO for each desktop unit
represented whereas the Macintosh is clearly the worst in this category.
Perhaps the most available market segment is the small business category
and that segment has been dominated by 'must have' software such as
Quickbooks but as more software moves to the cloud and becomes SAAS,
then the desktop OS becomes less significant - at least in terms of
having specific needs drive specific choices. The home user market is
clearly segmenting at this point with the tablets stealing much of the
home laptop and desktop sales.

Craig

believed to be clean.