cleaning java alternatives

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 21:31:25 UTC 2011

Hi,

A long time ago (before iced tea and openjdk) I installed Sun Java on
my Fedora system (I see the jpackage website still exists, though it's
a bit quiet). And through subsequent upgrades I gradually ended up
with alternatives (as in alternatives --config java) which variously
pointed to gcj or, now, openjdk, this was the state of affairs until
quite recently (I had an issue with Java under F10 that required java
to work around until the underlying problem was found). Now this
computer is on F15 and I've only just noticed the icedtea-web plugin
wasn't showing up in firefox, it turned out I needed to change
alternatives --config libjavaplugin.so.x86_64 (incidentally, does
alternatives have any way to list what alternatives it controls? I
ended up looking through /etc/alternatives to find out).

What I'd like to know is if there's any way to reliably clean up my
alternatives system to only use the current version of openjdk (rather
than chasing separate javac, javaw, libjavaplugin etc.)? I've tried
googling a bit but haven't found anything useful.

Thanks,
--
imalone