Yum update from live media??

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 18:19:40 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Beartooth <beartooth at comcast.net> wrote:

>        I have an F14 PC on which I'm currently running F15/xfce from a
> live medium. Having had too little coffee, I tried (as root) telling it
> "yum update."
>
>        It did it, or was about to. It got all the way to its "Is this
> all right" question -- whereupon it was going to install fifteen things
> and update four hundred-odd.
>
>        Would it have gone all the way? Would I then have an F15/xfce
> machine, as if I had done preupgrade, with all my data still present? And
> would that have been able to run preupgrade and get me to F16 when F16 is
> released??

If you didn't mount your F14 partition and chroot into it, it would
only update the F15 live session in memory and would be lost on
shutdown unless you added a persistent overlay when you setup your
live image (you didn't mention if it was live cd or live USB based).

>        The machine in question is pretty well backed up; so I'm willing
> to try the experiment, IF the knowledgeable think the odds are good, or
> it would produce useful knowledge, or both.

Seeing as (with the above assumptions) all the updates will be lost on
shutdown, probably not worth it.

Richard