Upgrading to F16 Beta

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Oct 7 16:05:58 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 13:13:32 -0700,
  JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Besides backing up the system first, before attempting this,
> is it possible to fully upgrade to F16 while booted into
> current F14?

In theory. You will probably need to do some fooling around with dropped
packages that may block updates.

The base procedure is to do
yum update -y --releasever=16 fedora-release
yum update -y

If you have a kitchen sink install, probably the update will fail or just
not update a lot of packages. Typically you need to remove some old packages
and try again. Eventually you want to run yum distro-sync to catch packages
that have a higher NVR in F14 than F16. I don't like to start with that,
because the choices yum distro-sync makes for trying to sync things up
is often not what I want when doing an upgrade. Once things are pretty much
there it is nice to help clean things up.

Afterwards you'll want to run package-cleanup --orphans to find orphaned
packages and then decide how you want to handle them.