Corrupted evolution databases

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Fri Oct 7 19:31:30 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 15:39 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 15:34 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 15:50 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > > I had a crash that caused some filesystem errors, and after restarting,
> > > evolution reports that it can't view some of my mail and RSS feed
> > > folders because "database disk image is malformed".
> > >
> > > Is this something that can be recovered?  If so, how?
> > >
> > > TIA.
> > > --
> > > Matthew Saltzman
> > > Clemson University Mathematical Sciences
> > > mjs AT clemson DOT edu
> > >

> > Usually if you run: evolution --force-shutdown
> > Then go to:
> > .local/share/evolution/mail/local_mbox
> > and : rm Inbox.ibex.index
> > and restart evolution , things will straighten out.
> Correction.
> That is for F15 . In earlier versions of Fedora it was in local not
> local_mbox.

Thanks for the suggestions, but:

      * This is F15, and I have local/ not local_mbox/.  Maybe because I
        had it before F15?
      * I don't have the file Inbox.ibex.index.  Maybe because my local
        inbox is tied to a POP3 account?
      * I do have several *.ibex.index files.  They are all hidden
        (start with '.').  One of them is ..ibex.index.  The rest
        correspond to folders or RSS feeds.
      * I tried deleting an RSS feed (which deleted the
        corresponding .ibex.index and .ibex.index.data files) and
        recreating it (which created new files), but I get the same
        error trying to read that feed.

I suppose it wouldn't kill me to blow the whole evolution directory tree
away and start from scratch, as all the accounts are also stored
remotely), but if you have any other ideas to try first, I'd be glad to
have them.

Thanks.