F15 preupgrade: lots of uneraseable dupes

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 20:11:51 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 9:40 PM, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Rahul,
> I tried preupgrade.
> I tried upgrade via DVD.
> I tried upgrade via yum according to
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum
> All of them failed to upgrade the system to full F16.
> Upgrading via all these methods left hundreds of
> F14 packages in place, even though they were
> installed via yum update from fedora updates
> repository, for which F16 updates were indeed
> identified by yum, but at the same time yum would
> then say "Not found".
> I had taken care to disable other repo files, such as
> rpmfusion, adobe, google, skype, atrpms so as not
> to get a whole bunch of errors unrelated to upgrading
> from fedora repos.

Are you sure they were not packages which were _not_ rebuilt for the
new release. This is common practice unless there is a significant
change in any of the packaging utilities (e.g. when RPM changed to a
sha256 hash).

To give you an idea, this is what I have on my (never upgraded) F14 system:

# uname -r
2.6.35.14-96.fc14.x86_64
# rpm -qa | grep -c -E 'fc14|noarch'
1707
# rpm -qa | grep -c fc13
170
# rpm -qa | grep -c fc12
149
# rpm -qa | grep -c fc11
8
# rpm -qa | grep -c fc10
1

And since you pointed to the fedora wiki page, I think I can safely
assume you did a distro-sync after the upgrade. Despite all the
precautions an upgrade is a complicated process and often things go
wrong. Since you have tried all 3 methods and failed, have you
considered if there is any common point of failure which is hampering
all the methods?

Just a few thoughts. Hope this helps.

PS: My experience with upgrades have been extremely smooth, specially
when I used preupgrade.

--
Suvayu