F15 preupgrade: lots of uneraseable dupes

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Oct 11 04:31:41 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 13:10 -0700, JD wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 12:54 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> > On 10/10/2011 09:42 AM, JD wrote:
> >> And I agree, it is a complex process that newbs and
> >> non-techies will always fail at accomplishing.
> > Why?  My sister is able to upgrade from one version of Ubuntu to the
> > next without any help and she's a complete non-tech.  I don't think the
> > average non-tech would have any trouble upgrading Fedora using
> > preupgrade.  Why do you think the process is so difficult?
> I have done 5 upgrades so far that simply failed.
> If you have not followed this thread, then please
> read what I posted re: what failed.
> So the difficulty is not in following the
> instructions as outlined on
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum
> but that yum would fail with many unresolvable
> conflicts and refuse to carry out the fully resolved
> dependencies. I had also wondered if the failure was perhaps
> due to the fact that F16 Beta repos may not be ready for
> the process to run yum update to F16.
>
> Also, as I had also stated, I had to disable rpmfusion, atrpms,...
> repos before undertaking this task, to avoid failures that
> are not related to vanilla fedora packages.
>
> So, I do not think that comparing ubuntu to fedora
> is helpful in this case. Perhaps ubuntu does a better
> job at upgrading than fedora does. I don't know.
----
I suppose if you go 'off the reservation' (use un-official repos) then
Ubuntu and Fedora are certainly capable of failing especially if you
disable them prior to upgrading (not sure why you would disable them).

You should recognize that Fedora cannot possibly anticipate the packages
you install from other sources, what the impact would be when trying to
upgrade nor can you reasonably expect an upgrade to occur without
issues. Seriously... at some point you have to take responsibility for
your own actions and you computers and learn how to maintain them.

Craig

believed to be clean.