F15 preupgrade: lots of uneraseable dupes

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Oct 11 12:26:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 12:11:21 +0200,
  suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just wanted a clarification on that statement. I thought the safer way
> was to disable all the community repositories before using something
> like yum upgrade or preupgrade. That way any hidden packaging bug in
> community packages don't come in the way of the distro upgrade. After
> the upgrade is finished, all one has to do is enable the repos again
> and do a simple yum update, followed by a distro-sync with all repos
> enabled. Could you clarify why you think upgrading with them enabled
> is better?

Because you won't allow upgrades of the external packages, and by blocking
those updates you can pin Fedora packages they are dependent on. Doing
a distro-sync might do better than update, as then the problem packages
could be erased. The issues with that are that you need to watch which
packages are erased to put them back later and distro-sync seems to have
more problems dealing with brokenness than update.