Things I cant understand

Kevin Martin kevintm at ameritech.net
Tue Oct 11 18:53:30 UTC 2011

On 10/11/2011 12:48 PM, Joao Daniel wrote:
>     I'm trying to install in F14, 64bits. Snorts need libpcap
> version(libpcap.1.0) >= 1. As far as I know Yum repositories do not have
> it. Just libpcap version < 1. (libpcap.0.84)
>
>   I also have tried a simply ./configure* (without anything) then a make
> and make install but again no results.
>
> *I guess it would put the files on /usr/lib
>
> On 10/10/2011 05:41 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> On 10/10/2011 01:12 PM, Joao Daniel wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to install Snort. So, the first step is update libpcap. Look
>>> what I have done.
>>> 1)
>>>
>>> yum erase libpcap (to unistall old libpcap)
>>> tar -zxfv libpcap
>>> cd libpcap
>>> ./configure --libdir=/lib/ --bindir=/bin/
>>> make
>>> make install
>>>
>>> 2)
>>>
>>> yum install ./daq.rpm
>>>
>>> At this point I got a messagen telling that libpcap is not installed!!!
>>>
>>> What is happening ? Did I made a mistake? Better: Why yum cant realize
>>> that lipcap is already installed ?
>> We need to know what you're trying to install this on (F14, F15, 32-bit,
>> 64-bit, etc.).  Snort wants libpcap in /usr/lib or /usr/lib64,
>> not /lib.
>>
>> You should have just done a "yum install libpcap-devel" to get libpcap.
>> There's no need to install from a tarball--libpcap has been in Fedora's
>> repos for a LONG time.
>>
>> Yeah, I know.  "NOW you tell me!"  :-)
>> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting          ricks at nerd.com -
>> - AIM/Skype: therps2        ICQ: 22643734            Yahoo: origrps2 -
>> -   UNIX is actually quite user friendly.  The problem is that it's  -
>> -              just very picky of who its friends are!               -
Are you getting the version of snort from the yum repo or from snort.org directly?  If it's from snort.org (which, based on the rpm
name, I'm guessing it is) there is a fairly concise howto as to how to install the latest version of snort for F14 (
http://www.snort.org/assets/154/Snort_2.9.0.1_FC14_Base.pdf ).  And, FWIW, the latest x64 version of libpcap for F14 appears to be
1.1.1 so it appears that if you do a yum install libpcap you should have a version of libpcap that is new enough to handle the
version of snort that is in the F14 repos (and the version that is on snort.org, which, from reading the install guide, you have to
compile and install, not install from rpm).

Kevin