undelete files

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Oct 15 20:12:06 UTC 2011

Ranjan Maitra <maitra <at> iastate.edu>:
>> Thanks very much! I stand corrected from my previous answer which
>> appears to have been out of inadequate knowledge. So, how does one
>> "really delete" a file then?

By using Windows, and not wanting it delete your files...   :-\

Andre Robatino:
> See the shred, srm, or wipe packages.

Though, they can't be relied upon with journalled file systems.  Even
without that, subsequent writes aren't guaranteed to write over the top
of prior files.  You'd need to fill the drive, to hope to overwrite all
the blocks.

Encrypted file systems are the best options for making it hard for
someone else to undelete your file.  At best, they should only be able
to salvage un-usable scrambled encrypted data, rather than a file.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.