Yep, names like p4p1 are soooo much better than eth0 :-(

Robert Myers rbmyersusa at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 01:08:56 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 8:59 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Really? What is it? How do we access this wondrous special forum on
>> changing device names on a whim of a dev?
>
> Nothing major like this gets changed on whims.  This change was done to
> solve real world problems.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ConsistentNetworkDeviceNaming
>
> The special forum is just linux kernel mailing list and fedora devel
> list where this was broadly announced and discussed.  All major features
> follow the feature process
> (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Policy) and gets voted upon by
> the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee which itself is a body elected
> by the Fedora contributors.   If you subscribe and follow fedora devel
> list, you can follow all such discussions in the future.

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.

Your description of the process betrays exactly what is wrong with it.
 It's a hobby shop for geeks with a very narrow perspective on
computers and how they are actually used.

Even Microsoft tests changes on *users*.  Of course, Fedora is sort of
a beta distribution for RedHat.

Robert.