Fedora 15 + scsi tape drive

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Mon Oct 17 01:15:58 UTC 2011

Once upon a time, Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> said:
> I'm all ok with providing sda/hda as discovered, _provided_ one also has
> nice bus/id type names as well. Solaris' bus/id/partition drive names
> looked long and complicated but they were reliable - you could look at
> the device ids and know what the OS would call them.

See /dev/disk/by-{id,path,uuid}.  This is also an advantage of LVM; it
knows how to find the physical volumes, and you generally don't have to
care (/dev/vg_foo is always /dev/vg_foo).  Even Solaris' bus number
wasn't stable in the face of card changes IIRC.

The problem with enumerating devices by HBA/bus/ID/LUN is that today's
storage is more dynamic.  USB ports are "SCSI" (protocol); how do you
number those?  IIRC USB ports on a hub are not deterministically
ordered, so a flash card reader on a hub may come before a thumb drive
on one boot and after on the next.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>