HELP!!! System messed up!

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 07:32:02 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 6:57 AM, John Aldrich <jmaldrich at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Quoting "D. Marshall Lemcoe Jr." <forum at lemcoe.com>:
>
>> You might just completely remove Xorg and then completely reinstall it
>> to fix your xorg.conf issue.
>>
> So you think I ought to try "yum remove Xorg" and let it go? Will that
> mess up any of my personal settings or will those likely not be touched?

Please don't do that, I would thing that would cause you a whole lot
of more troubles. I would first try to boot by removing the old
xorg.conf out of the way (I'm assuming you use xorg.conf since you
mention nvidia-xconfig). Xorg these days doesn't need an xorg.conf, so
might as well start with that. Also have you run fsck on your disk? As
root `touch /forcefsck` and reboot to do that.

Hopefully that gets you started.

--
Suvayu