Turning Off GNOME Warnings

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Oct 17 10:27:33 UTC 2011

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 11:22:27 +0100
Dave Cross <davorg at gmail.com> wrote:

> GNOME seems to think that my laptop has a dodgy hard disk. It's been
> telling me that for over a year. I'm not sure that it's correct

Red Hat seems to like to ship tools with the slightly questionable view
that a disk reporting plenty of bad blocks is 'failing' when in fact what
actually matters is whether the lists are growing and what the drive
smart data reports.

hdparm can give you a much more honest appraisal of your disk, and
usually modern BIOSes check whether the drive thinks it is failing on
boot (make sure SMART is enabled in the BIOS)

Alan