Fedora 15 + scsi tape drive

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Oct 17 12:36:43 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-10-16 at 20:15 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> The problem with enumerating devices by HBA/bus/ID/LUN is that today's
> storage is more dynamic.  USB ports are "SCSI" (protocol); how do you
> number those?  IIRC USB ports on a hub are not deterministically
> ordered, so a flash card reader on a hub may come before a thumb drive
> on one boot and after on the next.

I would have gone down the route of calling USB devices with a usb
device name.  So a USB device doesn't become sda and shuffle device
names around for *other* devices.

And I would have left IDE style devices as hd, SCSI as sd, SATA as sa,
and so on, and so forth...

That way when I have a computer with an internal IDE drive, an external
USB, and an external SATA, I could tell them instantly apart from each
other as they would be /dev/hda, /dev/usb1, /dev/sa1.  Rather
than /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, and /dev/sdc, where I could guess that the
internal drive was *probably* /dev/sda, but could never guess what
either of the other two were.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686