Restoring from a tarball

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Tue Oct 18 18:54:47 UTC 2011

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 11:24:34 -0700
Joe Zeff wrote:

> sudo tar -cjf marcia.tar.bz2 /home/marcia

> Assuming that
> the username hasn't changed and that I've put the backup in the same
> place that I made it, what arguments to I give tar to make it put
> everything back exactly where it was?  I ask because I once got it wrong
> and ended up with everything in a subdirectory instead of where it
> belonged, and I'd rather Get It Right the first time.

The problem you're going to run into is the initial / that you used before
home/marcia when you created the tarball.  Tar won't restore the initial / so
when you extract the files they will end up in home/marcia under whatever
directory you're currently in at that time.

The easiest solution is to extract the tarball and move (with the mv command)
the marcia directory into /home on completion.