Cannot configure printer that is on a windows server

Paolo Galtieri pgaltieri at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 00:46:10 UTC 2011

Folks,
  I have a printer issue that I cannot figure out what is going on.  Here's
the issue:

I run system-config-printer and I select add a network printer.  I select
the "Windows Printer via SAMBA" option and enter

TALOFASYSTEMS/TALOFA01/

and click browse.  After a few seconds an SMB Browser popup is displayed
with TALOFASYSTEMS as the share name and TALOFA01 as the comment with an
arrow in front of the share name.  A couple of seconds later I get an
authentication popup indicating I need to login to TALOFA01, which is the
windows system where the printer is, requiring I enter a username and
password.  This is the output from s-c-p

Caught non-fatal exception.  Traceback:
File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 5204,
in fillDeviceTab
    ipp_allowed = f.check_ipp_client_allowed ()
File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/firewall.py", line 77, in
check_ipp_client_allowed
    self.ALLOW_IPP_CLIENT]))
File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/firewall.py", line 60, in
_check_any_allowed
    (args, filename) = self._get_fw_data ()
File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/firewall.py", line 47, in
_get_fw_data
    self._fw_data = pickle.loads (p.encode ('utf-8'))
File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/pickle.py", line 1382, in loads
    return Unpickler(file).load()
File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/pickle.py", line 858, in load
    dispatch[key](self)
KeyError: '['
Continuing anyway..
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file
"/root/.smb/smb.conf":
    No such file or directory
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file
"/root/.smb/smb.conf.append":
    No such file or directory
got no contact to IPC$
got no contact to IPC$

The username it fills in is root, the domain name is TALOFASYSTEMS.  Trying
root password returns "Not Authorized the password may be incorrect"

Back in the Fedora 12 time frame I had no problems configuring a printer, to
the same system, using samba.  Since Fedora 14 I can longer do so.

If I configure the printer on Windows 7 I'm not asked for any authentication
information and no authentication information is configured on the windows
server side.

Anybody have any pointers as to how to configure a printer via samba?

Also my mother, who is running scientific linux, is having the same problem.

I have stopped iptables service and disabled the firewall and it still
fails.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,
Paolo