Unable to ssh nodes with global IP

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Oct 23 10:12:52 UTC 2011

Am 23.10.2011 12:09, schrieb suvayu ali:
> Hi Abu Attar,
>
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 11:09, Abu Attar Musharih
> <abuattar.musharih at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The customer service said that  ssh is not allowed. So, what to do
>> then? I badly need a server with global IP for experimenting grid
>> computing.
>
> To be absolutely sure you can try the following.
>
> 1. confirm your global ip (e.g. here: http://checkip.dyndns.com)
> 2. check sshd is running at your end and is using port 22. you can try
>    ssh-ing to another local user to check easily.
> 3. nc -z <global.ip> 22 (from a machine outside your local network)
> 4. if this last step shows you that connection is not happening, you
>    can try looking at your router settings. there should be a way to
>    port forward your ssh connections to port 22 of the machine you want
>    to use as a server

mh and hwo do you start "nc" if you can not connect to the machine and
if you drive to the machine doing this manually what after internet
is shortly down - driving all the time around?

put sshd on port 10022 and all is well

this has the additional benefit to get rid of the most
idiots trying password-attacks all day long