F15 - Apache and PHP

Steven F. LeBrun steven at lebruns.com
Wed Oct 26 04:07:42 UTC 2011

On 10/25/2011 10:40 PM, Steven Stern wrote:
> On 10/25/2011 04:30 PM, Steven F. LeBrun wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For the past month or two, I have been developing a web site on my
>> laptop using Apache 2.2.21 with PHP 5.3.8 on Fedora 15.  Everything was
>> working as expected until a few days ago.  One day, my Apache HTTPD
>> server stopped processing the PHP code in the files with "php"
>> extensions, the very files that worked correctly the day before.
>>
>> I have gone over all the changes that I have made to php.ini (made no
>> changes to the httpd configuration files).  I am not sure what changed
>> to cause Apache to pass the PHP code in the HTTP response back to the
>> browser.  It is possible that my system was updated using yum via
>> yumex.  There are no signs of errors in the httpd error_log or messages log.
>>
>> At the moment, my browser is receiving the full PHP files including the
>> embedded php code.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how to fix or find the cause of this problem are welcome.
>>
>> --
>>    Steven F. LeBrun
>>
>> Quote: /"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it
>> to change; and the realist adjusts the sails."/
>>       -- Anonymous
>>

> Check the php.ini file to make sure that short_open_tab=On or all the
> stuff you coded with just "<?" and not "<?php" will show up as text.

I only use "<?php" and have been working with "short_open_tag=Off"
successfully up to this point.

Running server-info shows that mod_php5.c is loaded.  The module
prefork.c is also loaded while worker.c is not.  Httpd is loading the
/etc/httpd/conf.d/php.conf file that came with the installation which
loads libphp5.so when prefork.c is also loaded.

The php.conf file also includes the following lines:

    #
    # Cause the PHP interpreter to handle files with a .php extension.
    #
    AddHandler php5-script .php
    AddType text/html .php

    #
    # Add index.php to the list of files that will be served as directory
    #
    DirectoryIndex index.php

The three command results show up in the server-info page so they are
being processed as well.