SL6 to F16??

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Sun Oct 30 16:49:54 UTC 2011

	I've been playing with Scientific Linux on an oldish machine, and
now I want to try F16 with xfce -- *not* live, but installed, with
the .iso on a DVD. I realize that requires me to install the gnome
version and then add xfce. Do I just command "yum install xfce," or is
there something more esoteric?

	In the course of playing with SL, I've put spare copies of
various data into it, and of course tweaked all sorts of things, many of
them a tad bit tedious; I'd like to preserve them into the F16 install.

	Is there a way Fedora can treat SL6 as if I were upgrading
earlier Fedora install? I see this :

$ uname -a
Linux Hbsk.localdomain 2.6.32-131.17.1.el6.i686 #1 SMP Wed Oct 5 17:20:08
CDT 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

	There's plenty of space for dual-booting. I suppose I could
install into free space, boot to it, mount the SL partition, and copy
stuff. But that sounds like needless hassle to me, even if I got all  of
it right.

	Is there another way??