SL6 to F16??

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Mon Oct 31 20:06:32 UTC 2011

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 15:21:41 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:

> On 10/30/2011 09:49 AM, Beartooth wrote:
>> 	I've been playing with Scientific Linux on an oldish machine, and
>> now I want to try F16 with xfce --*not*  live, but installed, with the
>> .iso on a DVD. I realize that requires me to install the gnome version
>> and then add xfce.

> Not so!  Select Customize Now (or whatever the equivalent is) and select
> XFCE and unselect Gnome.

	Shudda thunka that, thanks! Anyway, I did it, yesterday, after
having copied /home to an external drive; burned it to disk, and did an
install -- with a very curious result.

	The install completed normally, afaict, including rebooting into
Firstboot, accepting a userid, and again completing normally afaict.

	But then it failed to boot normally any more. I got it into
troubleshooting mode, and discovered a vast array of files under /boot/
grub -- including one called grub.cfg.

	So I hopped over to supergrubdisk.org, and sure enough, they had
a version ready for grub2. It didn't handle this case -- and something in
recovery mode or some such gave me the hint that F16 had grub 1.99

	So I went back to my old supergrubdisk, which, after some
fiddling, announced success.

	But something is still wrong. It gets part way through booting,
then gives me an error box saying it failed to load session "gdm-shell"
and a Log Out button. Clicking the button just takes you back to the same
error box.

	At that point, it does accept an ssh connection. Using one, I
tried yum update, and also added a few things; but no joy.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User