F15, konqueror sometimes hangs

D Wyatt dwyatt at sunflower.com
Mon Oct 31 21:28:49 UTC 2011

After the most recent updates to kde, I'm seeing konqueror
hang every few hours, with no identifiable cause.

What I see is that all currently running konqueror windows stop
responding or refreshing.  If konqueror is obscured by another
window, when that window is minimized the konqueror window will
present as all grey.

The hang will eventually resolve and konqueror again becomes
useable.  The duration of the hang is more than 10 minutes and
less than 60 minutes.  I'm not sure how i can more accurately
measure the duration of the hang, short of staring at the screen
for the duration.

Load levels don't seem abnormal, other apps continue to work ok.
There is plenty of free memory - 200-400 MB.  CPU usage is low.

FWIW, I was seeing similar behavior when starting gwenview before
the last kde update.  I would start qwenview to view a jpeg and
it would come up as a greyed-out window, then some time (> 5 mins)
later the image and gwenview menus would finally appear.

Any ideas?

Regards,
D Wyatt