help with missing font (Fedora 15)

Paul Flo Williams flo at uk.thalesgroup.com
Thu Sep 1 10:13:35 UTC 2011

On 09/01/2011 02:36 AM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:

> I am missing a font (for a while) but I can not figure out what it is.
> Basically, I get something like this on my help pages when using R.:
>

>        1 lm                    package:stats                    R
>        Documentatio
>        1 n 2
>        3 Fitting Linear Models
>        4
>        6
>        7<80><98>lm<80><99>  is used to fit linear models.  It can be us
>        7 ed to carry out
>        8      regression, single stratum analysis of variance and analysis of
>        9      covariance (although<80><98>aov<80><99>  may provide a more co
>        9 nvenient interface
>       10      for these).
>       11
>
> Can I get rid of those line numbers? This did not happen for me
> before, from what I recall.

You haven't said exactly what you typed to get this output, but if you
have line numbers when using man, you've asked for line numbers from
the pager that man uses, called "less". I think that typing

echo $LESS

will show that you've got the "-N" option set. unset LESS to stop this
happening. If this isn't the case, then you may have the MANPAGER
variable set to something like "/usr/bin/less -N". man man for details.

The font issue (seeing <80><98>lm<80><99>) is actually an encoding
issue in the man page you're looking at. It appears that the document
is using Windows curly quotes, which are not at their standard Unicode
positions. This would be a bug in the package that supplies that man page.