help with missing font (Fedora 15)

Paul Flo Williams flo at uk.thalesgroup.com
Thu Sep 1 15:19:23 UTC 2011

On 09/01/2011 03:20 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 05:13:35 -0500 Paul Flo Williams
>
>> The font issue (seeing<80><98>lm<80><99>) is actually an encoding
>> issue in the man page you're looking at. It appears that the document
>> is using Windows curly quotes, which are not at their standard Unicode
>> positions. This would be a bug in the package that supplies that man page.
>
> Possible. But many of these webpages have not changed. Is it possible
> that previously, I this was not an issue because I was using the
> Microsoft TrueType Fonts, rather than Liberation now?

Hmm, I got this bit wrong. Having checked the help page in question, I
can see that, on my box, the rendered help page (produced from HTML
source) seems to have the bytes:

E2 80 98 l m E2 80 99

which is the UTF-8 encoding for U+2018 lm U+2019, so ignore what I said
about Windows encodings.

If there was a locale discrepancy between R and your terminal, I'd
expect to see <e2><80><98>lm<e2><80><99> on the display, but your
display misses the <e2>, which leaves me more confused.

That *still* means it shouldn't have anything to do with your
particular font.

What locale are you using?