help with missing font (Fedora 15)

Ranjan Maitra maitra at iastate.edu
Fri Sep 2 00:33:05 UTC 2011

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 11:30:54 -0500 Paul Flo Williams
<flo at uk.thalesgroup.com> wrote:

> On 09/01/2011 05:00 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 10:19:23 -0500 Paul Flo Williams
> >>
> >> What locale are you using?
> >
> > I am sorry that I am a little lost here, but how do I figure this out?
> > Or change the locale, if needed?
>
> What is displayed when you type 'locale' in the shell (not in R)?
>
>  From within R, you have the option of stopping "smart" quotes from
> appearing, which might improve things. Try:
>
> options(useFancyQuotes = FALSE)
>
> See help() for more details.
> --

Thanks very much! Your comments of earlier set me thinking in a much
more focused manner, and I noticed that my character set on less
(LESSCHARSET) was set at latin1. I had borrowed my .bashrc from some
good Samaritan on the web in ancient times, and modified it to suit my
needs. I never understood what this part did so I let it be.

Removing this offending bit (and setting to nothing) fixed my problem.

I am very grateful to you for pointing me in the correct direction by
your thoughts.

Many thanks again, and best wishes,
Ranjan