Vote to extend F14 security updates

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Fri Sep 2 19:57:34 UTC 2011

On 09/02/2011 01:42 PM, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> On 09/02/2011 06:17 PM, Wade Hampton wrote:
>> I agree with those asking to extend F14.  Extending
>> support will allow more time to fix F16 to better address
>> the GUI issues with Gnome 3, hopefully.
>
> That doesn't make sense; extending support for F14 creates more work for
> developers with already busy schedules. That would translate into less time
> spent on F16 (or F15 updates or post-F16 rawhide, i.e. what will become F17).

  1) The argument is not completely wrong (not that I think supporting
F14 will happen or even makes sense - but for other reasons - see below) -

    * The Gnome 3 devs (who are in large part redhat) would spend zero
time supporting F14 Gnome 2 in this case

    * neither would the systemd team (lennart) do any F14 work (obviously)

    * however it would take time from the kernel team ... and others ...
that said, it may make some sense to update the kernel on F14.

2)  Most people who are not happy with Gnome 3 have simply dropped it
for other DE's - Gnome 3 is not a rational reason for continued support
of F14.

    Gnome 2 is dead - whether you move to KDE, XFCE, LXDE or Gnome Shell
or anything else - none of them will be Gnome 2 or ever bring back Gnome
2 - its dead/gone sitting with the fishes .. move on ...

 Problems with systemd (if you have any) might be ... but Gnome 3 is not
a valid reason to hold resources supporting F14 in my view.

  gene