Confused with UEFI, GPT, SSD, grub, et. al.

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 00:38:36 UTC 2011

So, my old system died, and in a typical overkill fashion,
I decided to put a new one together with all the latest
and greatest hardware.

The motherboard I ordered (ASUS P8H67-V rev 3) has a UEFI
bios, and support for sata 6G/s drives. Continuing the
overkill theme, I also ordered a SSD disk that talks
sata 6G/s.

Some web pages I have consulted on SSD drives say it
is simpler to partition them on the "right" erase block
boundaries using the GPT partitioning scheme.

So, if I do all that, what is the process like to get
fedora 15 installed on such a drive? Fedora 15 hasn't
gone to grub2, so I don't know if the f15 grub understands
and new magical uefi style boot procedure (I know I
certainly don't, I merely hear vague things about it :-).

Am I better off not trying to understand anything and
just letting anaconda figure it all out? Will it do
a good job with the SSD disk without manual intervention?