Vote to extend F14 security updates

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 19:21:37 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 11:55:56 -0700
> Robert Arkiletian <robark at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Well let's be realistic. An extra 6 months of *only* security updates
>> would be super. Time enough for F17
>
> ...snip...
>
>> Simply put it's just too much change for my use case and my comfort
>> level at work.
>>
>> But don't misunderstand me. I am appreciative with the pioneering work
>> that Fedora and Red Hat do. It's great to see things advance. It will
>> be interesting to see X replaced by Wayland and having a display
>> server that does not run with root privileges. My own personal desires
>> and my workplace requirements are not always the same though.
>
> I'm curious... how would an extra 6 months help your case?
>
> F17 will still have gnome3 and systemd. I suppose it gives you more
> time to train up your users, but it's going to be a training/switchover
> sometime, no?

True. But I'm hoping issues with systemd will be ironed out by then
and "hopefully" gnome3 will have matured too.  Plus F14 support ends
in Dec (I think). I try to avoid distro upgrades mid school year. I
like to do big changes over the summer. I just upgraded from F13 this
summer. Honestly, I'm not holding my breath. I know extending F14
security updates (even just critical security updates) is probably not
going to happen. But no harm in asking. Do you think it's at all
possible?

--
Robert Arkiletian