iMac on my Lan can't see my printer connected via usb to my linux box

Ted Roche tedroche at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 19:12:34 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 2:45 PM, jackson byers <byersjab at gmail.com> wrote:

> But, much is  not clear to me,

> I thought the whole point of IPP Sharing was that
> you didnt have to do anything on the client machines, even Macs.

Well, especially Macs, as CUPS is/was written by Apple.

> Am I supposed to run
> cupsctl BrowseRemoteProtocols=cups
>
> on my f14 box Server?
> or on the imac client?
>
> I tried "cupsctl BrowseRemoteProtocols=cups" on my f14
> no change, still cant see the printer from my imac

And did you try it on the Mac? I tried 'man cupsctl' on my F14 box,
and it doesn't seem to support that syntax, so I think it was intended
for you to try on the Mac.

> is this meant to be done on my f14 server? or the imac client?
>
> On my f14 I don't see a " Print & Fax preference pane in the
> System Preferences window"

Then, I'd bet that's also intended to be done on the mac.

> If it means choosing from the imac print dialog,
> it seems impossible
> because my entire problem is my imac cant see the printer to choose it.

Try step #1 first, then perhaps step #2 will work.

> I haven't felt this dumb re linux in a long time.

Yeah, computers are good at handing out humility to us all, on occasion.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC