pulseaudio command line control?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 00:17:49 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:
> By running "gnome-control-center sound" I can get a GUI app
> in which I can set a device profile to "off" so that pulse
> will stop fooling with it, and I am then free to talk to
> it directly with alsa to do special things like ac3
> passthrough to spdif.
>
> My question is: Can I do the same thing with a command
> line tool so I can modify the pulse settings in scripts
> and set them back to normal after (for instance) playing
> a DVD?

I think you're looking for "pasuspender" which will suspend pulseaudio
until whatever you run completes. The usage is a bit odd. I use it for
"The Dark Mod" (a Thief fan game based on the Doom3 engine). In my
launcher script I use it as follows:

pasuspender -- ./tdmlauncher.linux

The double hyphen is important!

Richard