Fedora 15 is a lot like Windows OS's.. irritating, offensive, difficult to use with ease, nauseating to try...

Frederick N. Brier fnb.ml at multideck.com
Wed Sep 7 18:23:26 UTC 2011

On 09/02/2011 07:31 AM, Stefan Held wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 02.09.2011, 09:44 -0400 schrieb Darryl L. Pierce:
>
>> Great points. If we didn't have change and innovation we'd all still be
>> using 80x25 monochrome text mode terminals.
What was wrong with 80x25 monochrome?  I liked the Hercules display :).
No, but seriously, Gnome3 is irritating.  To have to click on Activities
to change and repaint the whole screen, and then select the category of
an item you want (if you have not added it to your favorites), then
click on it, then repaint the screen again.  And the screen real estate
for the Activities text does nothing else.  Nothing.  You can't even
right click on it.

You also can't right click on the "desktop menu items" and bring up
their properties.  Can't copy and edit them (I like that for rdesktop
and other commands that have parameters).  No, you have to find the old
MainMenu utility and create an item in the non-existent menu so it will
show up.  Maybe there is another way, but it ain't intuitive.

What's with no right clicks?  Only one mouse button?  Instead of Unix's
3 buttons?  Is this a lowest common denominator solution for someone who
installs Linux on a Mac?

I have been using Gnome3 for over 3 weeks now.  I tried adding AWN.
Tweaking different parameters.  It is STILL annoying.  And SLOOOOWWWWW.
There is a reason why menus have been around so long.  So yeah, I guess
I think the Gnome guys fumbled the ball.

I liked Gnome2.  Mostly I liked all the nice GUI utilities built on top
of it.  And now I am not sure what I am going to do.