Non-YouTube videos don't work in F15 [Solved]

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Fri Sep 9 03:26:29 UTC 2011

On 8 Sep 2011 at 18:51, Bob McClure Jr wrote:

Date sent:      	Thu, 8 Sep 2011 18:51:52 -0500
From:           	Bob McClure Jr <bob at bobcatos.com>
To:             	Community support for Fedora users
<users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
Subject:        	Re: Non-YouTube videos don't work in F15
[Solved]
Send reply to:  	Community support for Fedora users
<users at lists.fedoraproject.org>

e>

<mailto:users-request at lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=subscribe

> On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 06:24:25PM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > Bob McClure Jr writes:

> > >Okay, so done.  Now when it tries to play a YT video, I get Adobe's
> > >version of the BSOD that says "The Adobe Flash plugin has crashed."
> > >
> > >Here are another couple of data points.  If I bring up YT with
> > >Ephiphany, it plays them just fine.  AFAIK, the RC1 64-bit flash
> > >player is the only one on the system.
> > >
> > >If I try Konqueror, it reports I don't have a Flash plugin.
> > >
> > >Thanks for your patience.
> >
> > Well, the long and the short of it is that the 64 bit plugin works
> > just fine for me.
>
> After much screwing around with it, things are working now.  Based on
> my experience, here are the steps that worked.
>
> - Download the 64-bit Flash player from Adobe.  I got the RC1
>   version.  Then do these as root:
>
> cd /
> tar xzvf <wherever>/flashplayer11_rc1_install_lin_64_090611.tar.gz
> chown root:root libflashplayer.so
> chmod 755 libflashplayer.so # didn't know it had to be executable earlier.
> mv libflashplayer.so /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/
>
> - It was still failing because it was using gnash-plugin even though
>   I'd selected "Use Shockwave Flash" in Edit->Preferences->Applications
>   for "Shockwave Flash file", so I
>
> yum remove gnash-plugin
>
> Now I get audio and video for YouTube stuff as well as non-YT stuff,
> and as a bonus, I get my Live365 audio again.
>
> I am a happy camper.  Oh, and the 32-bit stuff is still installed, so
> it will coexist with the 64-bit player.

Another alternative that might be an option with youtube.
Go to http://youtube.com/html5
then joing the html5 trial that will use WebM for displaying videos.

Doesn't solve the flash issue for everything, but it seems to get
most videos to work without having to jump thru hoops..

> Thanks for your patience and guidance.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Bob McClure, Jr.             Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
> bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
> Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God,
> keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who
> love him and keep his commands.  Deuteronomy 7:9 (NIV)
> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI        11217422.706097   |   EINSTEIN     6510307.169851
ROSETTA      3592985.415703   |   ABC          7970217.804040