Network printer not working, how to debug?

james tate binarynut at comcast.net
Sat Sep 10 21:04:20 UTC 2011

On 09/10/2011 04:09 PM, Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-09-10 at 11:55 -0700, Gordon Charrick wrote:
>> I just bought a Brother laser all-in-one (MFC-7860DW) after determining
>> that it should work fine with Linux. It does wired/wireless and I have
>> it connected to my network via wireless.
>>
>> A mac and a windows machine on the network see the printer and it works
>> fine with them.
>>
>> When I use system-config-printer to try to set up the printer in Fedora
>> 15 the following happens:
>>
>> I click the Network Printer dropdown under "Select Device" and the
>> printer shows up with the proper IP address. Under "Connection", "IPP
>> network printer via DNS-SD" is selected. I choose the driver and apply
>> the settings. It prompts to print a test page and I click to print it.
>> The job for the test page is submitted and a window with the settings
>> shows up and the Printer State shows as "Stopped - Destination printer
>> does not exist!". The Device URI is
>> "dnssd://Brother%20MFC-7860DW._ipp._tcp.local/".
>>
>> Not really sure where to go from here.
> ----
> see if there is another choice other than dnssd URI - perhaps just the
> IP address itself. Probably have to return to system-config-printer and
> modify it or delete it and create it again.
>
> Craig

I look into the printer setup and did not see drivers for a MFC7860DW ,
have you downloaded the drivers from Brother for that printer ?

You may try this location to find the cupswrapper-driver.rpm

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html#MFC-7860DW

And be sure to watch for those SeLinux error that popup , fix selinux
errors as they pop up or you won't get your printer to work.  It is not
wise to disable SeLinux.  Fedora 15 makes it real easy to fix the SeLinux
errors.