Help requested: Dosemu/Dosbox

Frantisek Hanzlik franta at hanzlici.cz
Mon Sep 12 09:42:32 UTC 2011

Sanjay Arora wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I have an old xbase/clipper program that I need to run on Linux. Tried it some
> time ago on Dosemu on CentOS. Need to run it on Fedora now as the new hardware
> does not load CentOS.
>
> Found that Dosemu is missing from Fedora 15 and Dosbox is there instead.
> However, it clearly states that printing is not a priority for it and I need
> to print out to a Dot-Matrix printer.
>
> Can someone advise why Dosemu has been dropped? And strangely I cannot find
> any repo that I can enable while maintaining fedora with protectbase yum
> plugin....google searches yield rpm search engines with downloadable rpms but
> I can't seem to get to a repo.
>
> Can someone please advise? Graphics & sound are not an issue for me and the
> use case is accounting.
>
> With best regards.
> Sanjay.

There was any strange (for me) decision from fedora gurus about
DOSEMU - although both DOSEMU and FreeDOS have GPL licences, they
stated that dosemu cannot be in Fedora because FreeDOS is compiled
by non-free Watcom compiler.

Maybe now should be possible include DOSEMU to fedora main repo, as
FreeDOS can be assembled with OpenWatcom compiler.
Or, second way, is include DOSEMU into fedora repo without FreeDOS.

Till then, there is fortunately DOSEMU package in rpmfusion-free repo.

Franta Hanzlik