Network printer not working, how to debug?

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Mon Sep 12 14:56:24 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-09-10 at 11:55 -0700, Gordon Charrick wrote:
> I click the Network Printer dropdown under "Select Device" and the
> printer shows up with the proper IP address. Under "Connection", "IPP
> network printer via DNS-SD" is selected. I choose the driver and apply
> the settings. It prompts to print a test page and I click to print it.
> The job for the test page is submitted and a window with the settings
> shows up and the Printer State shows as "Stopped - Destination printer
> does not exist!". The Device URI is
> "dnssd://Brother%20MFC-7860DW._ipp._tcp.local/".

Try using a different Device URI.  The error you're getting is because
the device URI doesn't include a queue name (because it couldn't be
detected, I suppose).

You may be able to find out the default queue name by visiting the
printer's web server (if it has one built-in), or by consulting the
printer's documentation.

Tim.
*/