Theunderbird alternative spellchecker -

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 12 19:07:35 UTC 2011

On 09/12/2011 05:34 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 12/09/11 13:04, g wrote:
<>
>> one wants normal words, other wants u.s. english. neither tells v/r.
>>
>> using "version 2.0.0.24 (20110906)", when i;
>>
>>    "edit>  preferences>  composition>  spelling"
>>
>> i see near middle of window;
>>
>>     Languages:  English/United States ^v
>>
>>     Download More Dictionaries
>>

>> does that help?
>>

> I don't know what version I had originally but that offers me
> the one I downloaded/installed this morning which was probably
> the same thing I began with.

probably.

> It seems to me the spellcheckers in earlier Thunderbird versions
> caused me less grief. Perhaps I have improved things with the
> most recent effort, but I still have doubt. I'll wait and see..

it just seems that way. see below.

On 09/12/2011 05:47 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 12/09/11 13:12, g wrote:
<>

>> btw, did you mean "Thunderbird" or "The Underbird"? ;)
>>

> For example, I dropped the "t" in printing this morning
> "prining" and it offered me the following list:
>
>     preening
>     pruning
>     priming
>     pining
>     printing
>

> If I get careless and click Replace it defaults to "preening."
> It's a mystery to me what kind of logic produces that result?

if the word does not match what is in the dictionary, the 'look up'
has an algorithm to search for close matching. of course this algorithm
is written by a human, so you can take it from there.

> I know it's bad so I can live with it but I set out looking for
> something better. It's just that it irks me ...

over time, the human adds to dictionary and modifies algorithm, so
you can/should be able to understand why if gets worse.

most of all, do not forget the laws of murky.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.