F15 Samba shares: SWAT, smb.conf, system-config or KDE file share properties ? Bug ?

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 01:07:27 UTC 2011

I'm building a NAS server using Samba.  Its a mixed OS network.

I just spent several hours chasing some really funny bugs.

I started out using SWAT in Firefox.  I'd make a change in SWAT and commit
it.  Then I'd view the file.  So far so good.  Usually the change didn't run
like it should have.  Ie a share directory didn't get changed, etc.

Then I tried system-config-samba.

Then I tried using KDE via Dolphin, folder properties, sharing, etc.

Then I tried manually editing smb.conf

After each attempt I restarted smb and nmb.

After a while I realized that the server was running with the settings from
several changes ago and that the only way I could be sure that my changes
were being used was to reboot after every change.

Is there a bug somewhere in here or am I missing something ?

Is it ok to mix and match these tools as the need arises or should I be
using one over the other ?

Thanks