[Fedora] about mail

Joachim Backes joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Wed Sep 14 06:21:44 UTC 2011

On 09/14/2011 07:14 AM, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-09-14 at 10:23 +0800, xinyou yan wrote:
>> I suggest we put [Fedora] in subject .So we can find the mail for the list .
>
> I suggest we don't.
>
> We have more than enough headers (To, X-BeenThere, Reply-To, List-Id) in
> the messages for any *decent* mail client to identify this lists mail
> apart from other message.  You can then use *your* client to do what you
> like with this lists mail (flag it, colour it, filter it into another
> mail folder, et cetera).
>
> We have limited space in most mail clients to show the actual subject
> line, and it doesn't need shrinking, any further, by shoving in
> redundant text.
>
> We end up with subject lines that have multiple [whatsits] in them, when
> it comes to replies, as different mail servers and clients stuff up
> inserting things in bad places.
>
> e.g.  [Fedora] Re: [Fedora] Re: [Fedora] I dunno how do to do list mail
>
> It breaks threading on (bad mail) clients that see any change to the
> subject line as being a new thread.
>
> Standard answer applies:  If your mail client is inadequate with what is
> a basic function of handling mailing lists, you need a better one,
> rather than mess things up for everyone else.  Though, seeing as you've
> posted using a gmail address, I would have thought that it'd have all
> the features you needed to handle list mail in various special ways.
> Start looking through your configuration options, and help guides.

Just one additional remark: I'have thunderbird running for mail client
and I'm filtering the "Return-Path" header line  for
"@lists.fedoraproject.org", and additionally for announce, test, users
or devel via "tools->message filters" to decide from which list. This is
sufficient.

--
Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>

http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~backes