Setting Command line to 80 x 25 ascii mode

Sanjay Arora sanjay.k.arora at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 22:07:07 UTC 2011

Min

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 2:48 AM, stan <gryt2 at q.com> wrote:

> > How do I get my non-graphic console (I think its a getty terminal) in
> > my display adapter's mode 0?
>
> As Tom said, you can't.  His suggestion of setting the font will work,
> sort of, especially if you make the font bold.
>
> I asked this same question, 'How is it possible to set the console
> resolution to a different value than the GUI?', and a developer told me
> that it is not possible using nouveau (not sure about proprietary).
> What I did is run with the old xv driver for nvidia, and add   nomodeset
> vga=0x317     on the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst.  0x317 is
> 110x40, I think 0x315 is 80x25.
>
> Your video hardware might not be nvidia, but this should give you some
> ideas to try.
>
> In the GUI Ctl-Alt-Bksp  will flip through the available resolutions
> (at least it does here).

Mine is an Intel motherboard with integrated Intel graphics chipset.

vga=315 did not work...I tried that before vga=ask. What I am looking for is
at least some way to reduce the resolution of the console (even if I have to
reduce the resolution of the gui also)...maybe with a script run everytime
going into console to reduce the resolution and another to increase the
resolution back at the time of going into gui.

Problem at the moment is getting 80x25 mode....regardless of what happens to
the gui. After the kernel is booted, screen simply does not go into low
resolution and the gui does not have options for that low resolution.

I am looking for a way to run several legacy applications, recompiled on
Linux and am willing to accept compromises.

Thanks.
Sanjay.